Chess set up is more likely related to understanding the chessboard. The chess game is huge, you might only see 64 squares on a chess board but the possibilities of chess position within 64 squares are huge. For beginners, setting up a chess board is simple and you only need to know chessboard orientation and placement of Rooks, Bishops, Knights, King, Queen, and Pawns on the chess board.
Toptechrivals illustrates the complete chess piece position on Chessboard:
How to Set up a Chess Board
There are two opponents and each has a different color chess piece (usually White and Black). White pieces down by 1 and 2 Ranks and Black pieces starts on Seven and Eight Ranks.
- Chess Board Orientation: Chess board is 64 square with two colors, Dark or Black and White or Light. Going Up and Down we have Files recorded by “a to h” letter and going across we have Ranks marked as “1 to 8” numbers. Each Square has its own name and given by combining Rank and File. For example, h1, g1, f1, etc. Make sure the board is positioned so that each player has a white square on their right-hand side.
- Place the Rooks: Put the Rooks in the corners of the chess board. Our rooks starts on h1 and a1 square position.
- Arrange the Knights: Next to each Rook, place the Knights. These are the horse-headed pieces. Our Knights starts on g1 and b1.
- Add the Bishops: After the Knights, place the Bishops. These are the pieces with slanted tops. Our Bishops starts on f1 and c1.
- Set the Queen: Place the Queen on the remaining square of her color. For example, if you have a white Queen, she goes on a white square. Our Queen starts on d1
- Position the King: Finally, put the King next to the Queen on the remaining square. Our Kind starts on e1
- Place the Pawns: On the second rank (Row), set up all the pawns. These are the smallest pieces in the shape of a cone.
Let’s wrap up some basic information about chess pieces and boards
How many Squares are on a Chessboard
There are 64 squares with two colors (Dark/black and White/Light) on a Chess board. Each move is played within these 64 squares. There are many possibilities of chess position within these squares.
What are Rank and Files on a Chess Board
Each square on a chess board has its own name and marked by combining Files and Ranks. The up and down positions on a chess board are Files (Columns) and going across we have Ranks (Rows). Ranks are marked with Numbers (1 to 8) on both end of a chess board. Files are marked with Letters (a to h) on both end.
How many Chess Pieces are Set up on a Chess Board?
There are total 32 chess pieces are set up on a chess board.
|Rooks||4 Rooks – 2 for each Player|
|Knights||4 Knights – 2 for each Player|
|Bishops||4 Bishops – 2 for each Player||
|Queen||2 Queen – 1 for each Player|
|King||2 King – 1 for each Player|
|16 Pawns – 8 for each player|